Head of Legal – Continental Europe (m/f)
Based in Oberursel (regular travel required)
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
- Creating a fully engaged, unified and collaborative team of lawyers across Continental Europe by supervising, supporting and training the team, including:
- creation and implementation of personal career development plans, documenting individual role responsibilities, career aspirations and any areas identified for development and/or improvement;
- supervising work product to ensure quality output is delivered to the business; and
- arranging training sessions from within the business and with external law firms to ensure up-to-date business, product and legal knowledge across the team.
- Providing legal counsel, advice and guidance to the Chief of CoE Source Markets and other senior executives in support of their management of the segment and relevant source markets and ensuring that the senior managers are appraised of all relevant legal and regulatory developments, including risks and possible mitigations.
- Development and on-going management of an efficient and effective legal structure for Continental Europe with dual reporting line responsibility (into business segment and Group) for all local legal counsel across Continental Europe, with the objective of providing efficient and comprehensive legal support to the businesses in all Continental European jurisdictions and at all levels, supported predominately by high calibre internal legal resource.
- Manage external legal and professional services spend and the Group's relationships with relevant external lawyers. Support the delivery of the Group 'Fit for Growth' efficiency initiative and provide a keen focus in respect of the cost position in the business.
- Take a senior legal and commercial role in respect of other strategic initiatives, projects and assignments as determined from time to time by the Group General Counsel and Company Secretary.
Skills, know-how and experience:
- Proven leadership roles in respect of legal matters within a firm and/or company.
- Analytically astute and demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be part of a much larger system; identifies common themes across multiple issues and moves to resolve, handling situations and problems with innovation and creativity.
- Combines excellent technical legal knowledge with a keen commercial focus and practical judgement.
- Adept in combining compliance and risk management requirements with delivery of an ambitious business transformation agenda.
- Demonstrates financial awareness, controls cost and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value.
- Resilient and able to work at considerable pace.
- Focuses on customer satisfaction and delivers high quality legal service to the business segments/markets.
- Experience with the travel industry and/or strong brands in consumer goods/services.
- Exposure to a wide variety of legal practice areas.
- German or English qualified lawyer with 7+ years post-qualification experience, having trained and/or worked in a top tier law firm.
- In-house experience, including leadership of an in-house legal team.
- Excellent academic record.
Interested? Please apply online. If you have any question please contact Silke Schneider (Silke Schneider@thomascook.de) directly.
Thomas Cook is now one of the world's leading leisure travel groups, supported by around 22,000 colleagues and operating from 15 countries.
Our vision today remains true to Thomas Cook's ambitions - to be the world's most loved holiday company.
THOMAS COOKThomas Cook GmbH is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Thomas Cook Group plc, listed on the London Stock Exchange since 19 June 2007. The company bundles the group's touristic activities in Continental Europe and holds all shares in the leisure airline Condor. Thomas Cook GmbH is active in Germany, Austria and Switzerland as well as in Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Russia, Belgium and the Netherlands.
Career at Thomas Cook
We're certainly not afraid of trying new things here. On the contrary, new ideas are nurtured, developed, and implemented rapidly across the group. We take real care of our leaders and invest in their personal and professional development. With the support of executive coaches, bespoke training and sponsorship programmes you will have the support to deliver great things for your teams and our customers.
More details? Please look at https://careers.thomascook.com/!