Software Engineer (f/m)
IT & Production Database Research Group
Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of
respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content
through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach
millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and
ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Our Data Team, located in Heidelberg, Germany, is responsible for the data backend of all our scientific facts databases. For this
team, we are looking for a Software Engineer (all levels considered) who is capable, talented, engaged and passionate about
creating industry-strength software and services. We are a multi-disciplinary team working in a fast-paced and collaborative
environment, who value honest opinion and open debate. By building solutions that transform the traditional publishers’ document
perspective into a world of knowledge, we work on the forefront of Springer Nature’s digital-first strategy.
Why you should apply:
You have a strong problem-solving mind-set with a hands-on attitude, you are keen to build software that leverages the value of
data, you are passionate in your work, you love to share ideas with your team and can pick the right tool for the job? Then you
should become a key member of Springer Nature’s database-product delivery teams! You will have plenty of options to contribute to
the company, keep up to date with technology trends and engage in life-long learning to grow personally as well as professionally. As
long as we deliver, our team has considerable autonomy how we get things done. So you and your skills can make a real difference.
What you can expect:
What we expect:
- Create and deliver complex tailor-made software solutions to build & improve automated processes for acquiring, processing, enriching and delivering structured data
- Work with and extend our pool of latest technologies and practices, currently including Docker containers, cloud computing, micro-services, DevOps, SQL and NoSQL data stores, Linked Data, etc.
- Influence every step of the delivery process and take ownership for what you build, from initial design over coding in a team to continuous deployment and operations
- We build our software incrementally, iteratively and continuously, so you’ll be able to see new work go live almost immediately
- Contribute to project priorities and deliver in an agile and informal set-up. If something needs to be done, we do it. If something isn’t working, we fix it
- Face challenges every day and strive in solving them through constantly innovating together with data engineers, domain experts, other development teams and product owners
- Integrate and apply cutting-edge technologies for large-scale data integration, data analytics and machine learning
- An exciting, diverse and international environment
- Software-development experience (graduates are also welcome to apply) • Background in at least one object-oriented programming language (e.g. Java, Scala)
- Familiarity with Linux-based environments incl. typical scripting solutions (e.g. Bash, Python)
- Ability to constantly improve code quality and operational efficiency
- Knowledge about common tools and practices (incl. version control, code testing, build tools)
- A team player with good communication skills and proven ability to work self-organised
Please note that your CV isn’t all that counts, neither how well you match all of our requirements. What we value most is personality,
motivation and a bright mind. We ask that you be able to help us solve our problems and overcome our challenges. We are
interested in what you can do. If you believe that you can help us, talk to us! If we agree, we‘ll invite you to come in and show us
how you work. We encourage you to learn all you can about us and be open-minded for discussions and hands-on sessions during
your interviews, because that‘s what our interviews are all about: doing the work and solving the problems. We promise not to
waste your time.
Working hours: full-time
Company and location: Springer-Verlag GmbH, Heidelberg
Excited by the prospect of joining us?
We are looking forward to your online application
using our online application system (SuccessFactors
) stating your first possible date of joining and your salary expectations.
Your contact person is Ms Birgit Kolb, HR Director Heidelberg.
To find out more information about our organization please take a look at www.springernature.com